Monday, April 21, 2008

Why Public School?

Well, it's that time of year again where we fret and plan and pray and talk and try to get a clear picture of what we'll do next fall for school. Since Katherine was pre-school age, we've gone through this process and I can't say it's gotten any easier over the years. There is so much to consider and each child has different needs, strengths, wants and abilities. Then there are family logistics and constraints to think about(things like finances, time/space/resource availabilities, mom's mental health, and dad's work schedule). When Katherine was about to enter Kindergarten, I was praying and "heard" a clear message from God. I knew it was God, because it was so NOT something that I had even considered. I was reckoning what would be best for her; worrying about quality of education, social pressures, teacher qualifications, time spent away from the family, etc. But God put this in my head: "Katherine needs to go to public school for others' sake; because of her testimony to others." Wow...OK, God. I felt proud and humbled and scared all together.
Knowing that He is in control and that his will is perfect and loving, we took the leap of faith and enrolled her at Harold Oliver Primary. We met some great families there and Katherine had some wonderful teachers. She had some just OK teachers, too and was absorbed into a system that makes it so easy for "good kids" to get lost. She also brought home lice...4 times, and picked up some not-so-lovely attitudes from classmates (not to blame them, but still I would have liked more wholesome and edifying influences for my firstborn).
Still overall, we have no strong anti-public school sentiments and Katherine has done quite well in the public school system for five and a half years. I think the NEA may be somewhat misguided on their theories and practices of education, but mostly I just think public school teachers are amazing people who are asked to to deal with more than any human should have to assume responsibility for. I have great respect for teachers - almost every teacher I've ever met is incredibly dedicated to what they do and the people they serve.


Last week, we had a conference with Katherine's current teacher and she said, "Every once in awhile I have a student whom I need more than they need me. Katherine is one of those students. She's changed me." This was so encouraging and validating for us. I probably will never know exactly how or in what way Katherine affected her teacher this year, but I know it was positive. Sovann and I both have been praying all year for Katherine, asking God to use who she is and all her good and bad experiences to "speak" to others about God's grace.

No comments: