spent way too much time and energy judging what is acceptable and criticizing what is unknown or new or different in the area of worship. Fact is, worship is a very personal, intimate practice that is carried out in a myriad of ways. We worship through tithing, through acts of service, through letters of love and caring words. But what I write today pertains particularly to how we do corporate worship. How do we come together as different individuals and worship God together as one body?I grew up in a conservative Presbyterian (liturgical service with hymns, responsive readings, choir anthems and doxology - mostly organ and some piano) and then Baptist (hymns and choruses, choir, special numbers with various instruments, etc.) church.
I kept to the comfortable, "no raised hands" type of churches until after getting married, when Sovann and I both started feeling a nudge in our souls to worship according to some more radical (yet biblical) examples (kneeling, dancing, banners, etc. - passionately responding to God). I'm not going to go into all the "whys," but this website sums it up pretty nicely (even if it is just about raising hands). We visited quite a few different churches that had widely differing styles of music and services and enjoyed almost all of them. From that and other experiences (attending a worship conference hosted by a black foursquare church, reading "Daring to Dance with God" and "Surprised by the Voice of God," "Spirit-led" prayer with a group of amazing women who are brave enough to go wherever God leads them, watching my 4 year old learn ballet as a form of worship, learning sign language and wrestling with scripture just to name a few), I learned a lot.
I kept to the comfortable, "no raised hands" type of churches until after getting married, when Sovann and I both started feeling a nudge in our souls to worship according to some more radical (yet biblical) examples (kneeling, dancing, banners, etc. - passionately responding to God). I'm not going to go into all the "whys," but this website sums it up pretty nicely (even if it is just about raising hands). We visited quite a few different churches that had widely differing styles of music and services and enjoyed almost all of them. From that and other experiences (attending a worship conference hosted by a black foursquare church, reading "Daring to Dance with God" and "Surprised by the Voice of God," "Spirit-led" prayer with a group of amazing women who are brave enough to go wherever God leads them, watching my 4 year old learn ballet as a form of worship, learning sign language and wrestling with scripture just to name a few), I learned a lot. I learned how important relational safety and acceptance (or at least non-judgment and grace) are to allow authentic worship. I realized that comfort does not always indicate, but many times i
s a sign of complacent stagnation. I had to let go of my own struggle for perfection and accept that worship is not about performing. I started to let go of my desire to please other people during worship and started accepting that God made me who I am because it pleased Him. I learned that some aspects of worship are learned and take time to ingest, and other parts are just a natural outflow of who we are.
s a sign of complacent stagnation. I had to let go of my own struggle for perfection and accept that worship is not about performing. I started to let go of my desire to please other people during worship and started accepting that God made me who I am because it pleased Him. I learned that some aspects of worship are learned and take time to ingest, and other parts are just a natural outflow of who we are.After all this, The Pen family find ourselves curiously in a church that is predominantly a white, fundamental, conservative evangelical congregation...which all brings me back to my vision. I believe one of the reasons God has me at GBC is to dissolve away some of my judgmental attitudes and also to share/introduce new and different ways of worshipping (deeper and more authentic for me, and hopefully to some others, too). So here's what I thought of.
Once a month (or more often if desired), I might host a worship time open to whoever is interested. We would choose a style ahead of time and devote that meeting (and maybe a few consecutive meeting times) to focus on learning and appreciating that style of worship.
Some ideas that came to mind were: hymns, banners, acoustic praise, a capella/chant, scripture songs, rock music, reggae worship, sign language, poetry/spoken lyrics, gospel music, different postures in worship, Jewish circle dancing, contemporary choruses, instrumental music, solos, silence/stillness, interpretive movement, etc. Some of these I could teach/lead, but others I don't have the ability or appreciation for but would love to try/learn. These are mostly musical/cultural styles and forms of movement, but some other artistic forms would be so exciting to explore, such as seeing God in nature (worshiping the God of creation) on a hike or road trip, and other visual arts such as sculpture, painting, photography, etc.
Some ideas that came to mind were: hymns, banners, acoustic praise, a capella/chant, scripture songs, rock music, reggae worship, sign language, poetry/spoken lyrics, gospel music, different postures in worship, Jewish circle dancing, contemporary choruses, instrumental music, solos, silence/stillness, interpretive movement, etc. Some of these I could teach/lead, but others I don't have the ability or appreciation for but would love to try/learn. These are mostly musical/cultural styles and forms of movement, but some other artistic forms would be so exciting to explore, such as seeing God in nature (worshiping the God of creation) on a hike or road trip, and other visual arts such as sculpture, painting, photography, etc.
From my own experience, it takes time, a prepared atmosphere, and a certain learning curve to really be able to appreciate and enjoy any worship song or form that is new. So if I, for example, were going to embrace and enjoy Christian rap as a form of worship, I would need to listen to it, take some time to evaluate if I agree with the lyrics (are they biblical? are they true to my experiences? am I being honest in reciting them?), learn some song lyrics and rhythms, and sing them enough so that my focus is not just on learning the songs but on worshipping through them. Appreciating a worship form (as a spectator) and entering in and worshipping through any particular form of worship are two very different things, too. The first takes discernment, a certain openness to that which is different and unknown, and a willingness to be uncomfortable and awkward as this new thing is absorbed. The latter takes faith, abandonment, se
curity, risk, sacrifice and again, a willingness to be vulnerable . I am imagining all of this, of course, in a corporate environment; worshipping along is in many ways much easier. For some, it is easier to worship in a mega-church where it's easier to remain anonymous and "get lost in the crowd." For me, I prefer a more intimate gathering at a small church or in someone's home. When I first started using banners in worship, I could only do it when I was all alone with the curtains drawn and the doors locked. After much time and practice and (most significantly) inner growth, I am much more comfortable worshipping with banners or through dance or sign language anywhere that form is welcome/accepted. People generally learn best in an atmosphere of balanced truth (the unwavering standard of God's word) and grace (love, forgiveness and acceptance) where mistakes are allowed and encouragement is offered frequently and generously. I was not given much of any of those things, and yet God still brought me out of my scared little "safe" world into the freedom of authentic worship.
curity, risk, sacrifice and again, a willingness to be vulnerable . I am imagining all of this, of course, in a corporate environment; worshipping along is in many ways much easier. For some, it is easier to worship in a mega-church where it's easier to remain anonymous and "get lost in the crowd." For me, I prefer a more intimate gathering at a small church or in someone's home. When I first started using banners in worship, I could only do it when I was all alone with the curtains drawn and the doors locked. After much time and practice and (most significantly) inner growth, I am much more comfortable worshipping with banners or through dance or sign language anywhere that form is welcome/accepted. People generally learn best in an atmosphere of balanced truth (the unwavering standard of God's word) and grace (love, forgiveness and acceptance) where mistakes are allowed and encouragement is offered frequently and generously. I was not given much of any of those things, and yet God still brought me out of my scared little "safe" world into the freedom of authentic worship.
I think I yearn for connection as much as anyone else (even though I really treasure alone-time), and we learn and gain so much from each others' differences when we can come together in a nurturing environment and worship the same God as He intended. I think it must please God greatly to see his family loving each other and praising him together. So some day, I would love to see this "experiment" in worship happen."But for you who revere my name, the sun of righteousness will rise with healing in its wings. And you will go out and leap like calves released from the stall." Malachi 4:2
2 comments:
This is one reason why I'm glad you're blogging - I didn't realize you were thinking about all that.
I was just thinking of making our house of prayer.
that wed we would just open our home for people to come and sit.
to pray
to sing
to listen
to read
to breathe
to heal
to be
no leader, no study.
to come and go as they please
just setting time aside to be with God
and others
"We would choose a style ahead of time and devote that meeting (and maybe a few consecutive meeting times) to focus on learning and appreciating that style of worship."
That would be a great experience, I think. Definately an outside your comfort zone idea.
Post a Comment