Monday, April 14, 2008

Shopping

One of the greatest things Sovann does for me is to watch the kids while I go shopping. I don't really like to shop for anything and I'm an efficiency fanatic, so I like to stock up for two weeks' worth of food and sundries at a time. Saves gas, saves time, saves money...but it takes a bit of planning and concentration. The last time I braved the crowded aisles of WINCO, I had one of my "2-week plan" lists and both J.J and Grace with me. It was not fun. Two hours of trying to calculate the best deals, compare nutrition labels, and decide if there is enough room in the pantry for those banana chips that are one sale that I'd like to stock up on, all while trying to keep J.J. from knocking cans off shelves and answering Grace's steady flow of questions: "Can I get out of the cart? Those cookies look yummy! What are these for (referring to the maxi pads I tried to hide under the bananas)? I'm hungry, can I have a snack? Cheese, Mommy, I see Cheese! Chips are good for me. Can we go home now? J.J. is looking mean at me. Can I hold the marshmallow bag?"
But today Sovann helped J.J. with his schoolwork and read books to Grace while I went shopping - all alone! I cannot tell you how much more pleasant this task I usually loathe became. I chose the ice cream I wanted without a cacophony of requests. I estimated the cost of 2.25 lbs of of oranges without any whining. I smiled at other shoppers instead of apologizing for running into them. I even enjoyed eavesdropping on other parents' conversations with their toddlers. I was puzzled by the half-dozen or so women I saw having conversation on their cell phones while shopping - I cannot do that, I need to focus on the task at hand.

The checkout line went smoothly, no crying or fussing or trying to distract the children while sitting in front of the tabloid magazine rack. I packed my bags and triumphantly made my way out to the car. Sure, my knees were aching - I felt like I had just run a mile-long wheelbarrow race. But although I was tired from pushing a heavy cart around endless rows of veggies and water bottles, I had accomplished my goal of bringing home vitamin-chocked sustenance for my family. Thanks to my husband, I was able to do this AND retain my sanity.

Now, my next task is to deal with the plugged up bathtub...but that's another story.

No comments: