Halfway through our guide's explanation, J.J. had a Level 10 bathroom emergency. One of the kids in our group had passed out the night before (because of Vertigo, but at the time we thought it was dehydration) and everyone was encouraged to drink a whole water bottle before coming this morning. Despite having JUST peed before the tour, J.J. was hopping around and painfully in need of a toilet. I raised my hand but the guide waved me off. I sent J.J. to the front so the guide could see that I wasn't just asking a question, and she seemed quite flustered to be interrupted, but ushered us to a security guard who had to radio to the elevator operator who escorted us downstairs and radioed to the next security person who escorted us to the bathrooms - sheesh!
At first we were told we'd have to miss the rest of the tour, but the security guys/gals were very kind to return us to our group who were then in the statuary hall. This room adjacent to the rotunda was an echoey marble room where Congress met in the early days of our country. Now it was used to house statues (2 from each state made either of bronze or white marble) of notable historical figures (missionaries, teachers, Native Americans, etc.). On the floor were a few brass plates that marked the locations of the desks of Senators who also served as President.
All of the artwork and carvings and statues were ripe with symbolism, including "Freedom," the figure that stands atop the Capitol Building. Next we were led to the crypt, where no one is actually burried, but was the intended resting place of George Washington. He died before the construction was complete, and is burried according to his wishes at his residence at Mt. Vernon. It was an arched ceiling room with many pillars to hold the weight of the high domed rotunda above.
From here we took an underground tunnel to the Library of Congress - the world's largest library - wow! I think this is the most beautiful, ornately decorated and constructed building I've ever scene. Marble everything (stairs, floors, walls, banisters, carved columns, etc.), mosaic
Next we saw a display about Lincoln that will be on tour around the country for the next 50 years. Lincoln's documents, furniture he owned, his election posters, and the contents of his pockets from the night he was assassinated. I would have liked to see the Gershwins' piano and Bob Hope exhibit and the Bible collection, but we only had about an hour. I could have spent a week just in the LOC.
After this, we walked to Union Station, only to find it was National Train Day! Randy Jackson from American Idol was just about to take the stage and announce the next musician. The girls saw the actress who played Padme in Star Wars (can't remember her name) coming out of the station as we went in. We headed downstairs to the food court for lunch - J.J. and I shared a m
The kids all walked back to the Mall after this to paint whatever they chose - Katherine painted a beautiful park bench watercolor scene. Then the group played ultimate frisbee for awhile. J.J. was tired, so we went back to the hotel and ordered Chinese for dinner. Went for a quick swim and then tucked J.J. into bed in our hotel room (he was very bummed he didn't get to sleep on the ship a second night, but he got to bed early and got the extra sleep he desperately needed). My feet were sooooooooooooo tired from all the walking in D.C. - I could barely move and it kept me awake a bit during the night.
1 comment:
Thanks for your great reporting on the trip! I'm really enjoying reading your experience.
Post a Comment