Later that morning, my sweet friend Danielle came over for a wedding makeup consultation. We spent a couple hours fine-tuning lipstick shades and eye colors while chatting about her plans for the future. What a precious time we had enjoying the art of enhancing feminine beauty while sharing little pieces of each other's lives. How blessed I am to have little jewels like Danielle pop in and out of my life.
Shortly after they all got back from lunch, our new refrigerator arrived. We exploded into action, clearing out food, mopping up old fridge leaks and wiping up the lint and grunge off the floor. Kudos to the Riegelman's crew who deftly moved our old fridge to the garage and brought up and installed the new bottom-freezer model (a tight squeeze coming up 2 flights of stairs). Katherine stocked our new fridge with food and creatively arranged magnets and the chore chart on the clean walls of the lovely new Amana.
Everything was going great as we positioned the old fridge down in the garage (long story short - it needs to stay working and plugged in until Friday when the Energy Trust guys come PAY US $30 to haul it away). Then the delivery guy plugged it in and POP! - everything went dead. Well, just everything in the garage (which included our FIOS phone & internet service, outdoor lights, garage door opener and outlets. After a house-call by our handy-hero Rick (who determined there must be a GFCI outlet somewhere that needed to be reset) and a call to Uncle Sav
Can I also just say that I love my family? My kids have been great, helping out around the house and doing their chores plus feeding their minds with reading and leftover schoolwork. OK, now I'm bragging, but I feel the need - they have also volunteered to help in the yard! J.J.'s a pretty awesome weed-puller, Grace loves watering my potted plants with her little can, and Katherine hauled branches and helped dig and move dirt around without complaining!! Yesterday was no exception, and as different things arose that needed to be done around the house and yard, my little blessings (#5, 6 & 7) jumped right in to help.
After dinner (which Katherine fixed), I decided it was time to cut Grace's tangled locks. I made Sovann promise not to cut her hair while we were gone last month because I didn't want it too short. My goal was to trim the ends and even it up to the sections Grace had chopped off herself a few months ago when she wanted to have "Mary Marvel" hair. I found those short strands in the front and moved to the back at that same level.
I watched the first strands fall to the floor, about 5 inches long. I knew it was too short, but evenness was what I was after so I kept going. I thought Grace would look in the mirror and cry. I wanted to cry. I asked Grace, "Do you know who's going to love your short hair?" I was sure she'd say, "Daddy!" But instead, she said, "Yes, ME!" And she does love it. It must feel good - light and bouncy much like her spirit.
As the day ended, my husband (blessing #8 today) came home from battling the demons of broken relationships. This man works everyday with people who are either severely sleep-deprived (grumpy and irritable at best) or severely wounded (counseling clients, many dealing with intense "stuff"), and he genuinely cares for them and often shares their emotional pain. He is my hero. He works three different jobs to provide all we need and still comes home and empties the trash and does laundry. Not only that, but he serves consistently in leadership at church and feeds his mind and soul regularly by reading and listening to podcast sermons and worship music. Did I mention that he loves to play with the kids and teach them stuff like wrestling and tennis? Last night, he came home and sat on the couch with Katherine to connect with us after a long, tiring day at work. Not many men I know would willingly sit through "My Girl" with all it's coming-of-age girly stuff, but Sovann did. It was a sweet moment to look over and see my daughter tickling her dad who took it all in, tired as he was, and engaged with us in what we were enjoying. He didn't run away and hide, he didn't make fun of us, he just loved us where we were in that moment. I am so blessed.
No comments:
Post a Comment